The FinTech Report Podcast – Episode 11: Interview with Jamie Leach from FDATA and Tonia Berglund from Envestnet | Yodlee
FDATA and Envestnet | Yodlee optimistic on CDR & Open Banking: “The right data, in the right hands, at the right time, can change the world!”
Listen here: www.buzzsprout.com/1643860/9364957
Key Points discussed in the podcast include:
- CDR is more than Open Banking – it’s open finance and open data – but what are the immediate opportunities, and what’s coming in the longer term?
- According to FDATA and Envestnet | Yodlee, there are three winners from Open Banking: consumers, fintechs and banks.
- Banks forced to share data; but banks can also embrace open banking – they can use data too – banks can develop new services. CDR is a huge opportunity for banks too.
- Banks have legacy systems but getting ready for Open Banking means better quality data within the bank; this increases efficiencies for the bank, and helps them take better decisions.
- Open Finance delivers some very basic outcomes – more transparency, more insights into pricing; this will be crucial for transferring someone from another bank
- Top takeaway/forecast: switching campaigns will boom!
- Many Business cases for the use of Open Data are still not proven – it will take time to understand what works and what doesn’t.
- Australia still has some way to go in terms of all banks sharing data: “we are two miles into the Marathon,” says Jamie Leach of FDATA.
- Jamie covers topic of cost and barriers to entry for fintechs – why is Australia 4 or 5 times the cost of UK to participate in the Open Data regime? (Note: UK doing 800 million API calls a month, and rate of growth is 100%+ month on month)
- Is the worry about security and consumer protection leading to higher costs?
- What are the issues for fintechs who want to switch from ‘screen scrapping’ to Open Banking Data?
- Discussion of consent; how consumers give consent to FSIs to use their data; How important is Privacy by Design and what does it mean?
- Discussion on Data Collaboration and Data Standards; this is a new area for tech firms and for the law; where are we at in Australia?
About the speakers:
Jamie Leach is the Regional Director in Australia and NZ for The Financial Data and Technology Association, a role that see’s Jamie work with government, regulatory authorities, and financial industry stakeholders to open up Australia’s and New Zealand’s financial sector so all companies can benefit from the Consumer Data Right, also known as Open Banking.
Tonia Berglund is Director of Product at Envestnet | Yodlee. Tonia is responsible for heading up Open Banking in Australia and New Zealand, bringing together the global open banking strategy for US based aggregator and Wealth Tech Company Fintech, Envestnet | Yodlee.
Tonia has spent the last 18 years driving digital change as a senior leader in the Technology and Finance sectors, working in large and small organisations including CBA, Westpac and the Federal Government. Tonia oversaw the first partnership program between a large bank and a Fintech back in 2016, launching an online business lending platform to fund business customers in hours.