Australian FinTech company profile #73 – Harmoney
1. Company Name: Harmoney
2. Website: www.harmoney.com.au
3. Key Staff & Titles:
David Stevens, Chief Executive Officer
Ben Taylor, General Manager
David Nesbitt, Chief Risk Officer
Brad Hagstrom, Chief Operating Officer
Simon Ward, Chief Financial Officer
Neil Roberts, Chief Product Officer
Auckland, New Zealand
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do?
Harmoney is a personal lending platform offering risk-priced, unsecured personal loans up to $70,000.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?
Harmoney was established in 2014 to introduce peer to peer lending to New Zealand. Harmoney has since become the largest online personal lending platform in Australia and New Zealand, giving people a quick and simple way to borrow online. Harmoney has helped 41,000 customers borrow more than $1.5 billion through over 72,000 loans (as of Dec 2019).
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?
We are privileged to help thousands of people improve both the small and the big things in their lives and making that simpler to organise by making it 100% online, and fairer for all though risk-based pricing.
Having a common purpose that everyone in the organisation can focus on helps drive the whole company forward.
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up?
Develop your company values and put them at the core of everything you do – keep it simple. Create a common purpose that everyone can rally behind, and create a vision that is inspiring.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focused on Australia?
Our focus is growth in Australia and New Zealand by continuing to obsessively focus on our customers, improving their experiences and helping them to do more, faster with less effort, and creating new products and services where we feel we can make a difference.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?
Xero. Transferwise. Google
11. What’s the most interesting or funniest moment that’s happened in your company’s lifetime?
The core leadership team has a strong track record of developing and growing successful companies, having previously generated over $2b in company value both sides of the Tasman.