Australian FinTech company profile #108 – Moroku
1. Company Name: MOROKU
2. Website: www.moroku.com
3. Key Staff & Titles: Colin Weir – CEO
4. Location(s): Australia, India, South Africa, USA
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do?: Moroku helps banks win by helping their customers win.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?: To find a way of enabling everyone in the world to be great with their money.
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: That game design is the most transformative approach to building customer centric businesses.
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up Find something you care about other than money and work on that.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focussed on Australia?: Buy a bank in the USA and pivot it into a digital bank for money service businesses.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?: TrueLayer for accelerating Open Banking, Cloud Case for bootstrapping to scale, Thought Machine for reimagining Core Banking.
11. What’s the most interesting or funniest moment that’s happened in your company’s lifetime?: Spending time in the pawn brokers of LA to see from the inside how a broad spectrum of customers, from the poorest to the wealthiest are migrating to non-traditional financial services in large numbers.