Australian FinTech company profile #80 – MemberCheck
1. Company Name: MemberCheck
2. Website: www.membercheck.com
3. Key Staff & Titles:
Shaun Thomas – Head of Partnerships and Growth
Taha Boutorabi – Head of Product
Angalie Welivita – Account Manager
Mei Chua – Product Manager
4. Location(s): Chatswood, Sydney
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do? MemberCheck provides an online Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing service which specialises in PEP and Sanction screening.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?: MemberCheck was created to help companies comply with the Anti money laundering act of 2006. MemberCheck was created in 2008 by partnering with KPMG and Dow Jones to create an application which allows companies to perform AML/CTF checks on their clients.
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: MemberCheck has been able to obtain a global presence and rank number 1 in google searches due to the content that we provide our audience with as well as our cost effective service. MemberCheck has also ben able to obtain a mass market share amongst super annuation funds.
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up?: Sell the benefit not the service.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focussed on Australia?: Looking at expanding overseas into Europe and the Americas within the next year.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?: up, ZIP