Australian FinTech company profile #72 – Insured by Us
1. Company Name: Insured by Us
3. Key Staff & Titles: Ben Webster, Founder
4. Location(s): Sydney & Global
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do?: Insured by Us is an API-driven insurance platform for startups, medium and enterprise. With annual GWP of over $100 million, you can fast track your journey with Australia’s travel insurance technology leader.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?: Travel Insurance falls to the bottom of the list of priorities for most general insurers. We saw an opportunity to provide a complete travel insurance solution to take advantage of the space.
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: Insured by Us has generated over 1million policies across 20 brands in the market. We have also won a number of awards for our leading product Travel with Kit https://mozo.com.au/expertschoice/in-the-spotlight/2019/ben-webster-from-travel-with-kit
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up?: We’re bootstrapped, so any advice needs to be understood from that perspective. Know your cashflow, hire slowly and make sure you know your partners before you get into bed with them.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focussed on Australia?: We’re on the verge of going global which is the main focus for 2020.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?: I’m a big fan of the crew at Up Banking. Their fresh approach and focus on UX is impressive.