Australian FinTech company profile #64 – SendGold
1. Company Name: SendGold
2. Website: www.sendgold.com
3. Key Staff & Titles:
Jodi Stanton, CEO
Mark Pey, Head of Business Development
Steve Bond, Executive Director
Alan Keenleside, Chief Technology Officer
Steve Wilson, Chief Security Officer.
4. Location(s): Live in 12 countries including the U.S., China, India and Australia.
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do?: SendGold gives people the power to build and transfer their wealth, outside of the banks, across borders and across generations, using gold, history’s most reliable safe haven asset.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?: As financial services execs and entrepreneurs we are acutely aware of both the deep structural problems with the current money systems, and the evolution of new technologies with which to solve those problems. Very low to zero bank interest rates are a symptom of a deeper issue of too much debt, and time and again the asset Gold has come to the rescue of the prudent savers and investors who own it. We think that should be everybody, and with $3.2 trillion in new financial deposits coming into the financial system we built SendGold to make it easy.
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: Our CEO won 2019 Femtech of the year, we were a finalist for the 2019 Finnies, and currently we are a finalist for Fintech Business of the Year from My Business Awards. We’re proud of the breadth of commercial relationships we’ve been able to achieve and the traction we’ve had with so little outside funding. We’re also proud of our work with The World Gold Council, the multi-trillion dollar gold industry’s peak body. They evaluated our platform and then asked us to contribute to their global standards for digital gold providers.
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up?: There are infinite ways to make money, choose a path that adds real value to the world and your fellow human beings.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focussed on Australia?: We are already live in 12 countries and will be live in the UAE in the coming weeks. We can launch in a new country in just 10 days. We are also working on our new app design featuring new capabilities like multi-currency wallets, dozens of new local payment types, as well as new extensions to our Gold-as-a-Service open APIs that make it even easier for companies like DIY wealth platforms, digital banks and rewards programs to offer gold transactions.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?: We are helping investors find financial stability, and admire others who are working hard to solve the bigger problems of our time such as wealth gap, agriculture, climate change and waste management.
11. What’s the most interesting or funniest moment that’s happened in your company’s lifetime?: There have been many along the way, but when we ran one of our first Gold Rush campaigns (our gamified customer acquisition tool that works like Pokémon GO), we had two players who ended up being a couple after they kept running into each other around Sydney looking for gold in their area. So we can add match-making to our value-added services!
SendGold are also doing a crowdfunding campaign, raising 70% of their minimum in the first 24 hours.
You can check it out here: https://www.birchal.com/company/sendgold/r/fintech