Australian FinTech company profile #43 – Ezypay
1. Company Name: Ezypay
2. Website: www.ezypay.com
3. Key Staff & Titles: George Holman – Founder, James Foster – CEO
4. Location(s): Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, China & Thailand
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do? Ezypay is one of Asia Pacific’s leading subscription payment providers.
6. How / why did you start your fintech company? Prior to the founding of Ezypay in 1996, George Holman owned Vital Health Club, a Sydney gym that took the unusual step at the time of offer a monthly membership. This proved to be extremely popular with both existing and new members and Vital grew to have one of the largest membership bases in Australia. A trip overseas to see America’s established fitness industry inspired George to then launch Australia’s first direct debit company with the purpose of making it easy for other Australian businesses to offer a subscription payment plan to their customers.
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: Ezypay is proud to have won 7 awards to date including;
2015 – WINNER Best Medium Business NSW Telstra Business Awards
2014 – FINALIST Best Medium Business NSW Telstra Business Awards
2011 – #35 Best Place to Work in Australia
2010 – WINNER NSW Best Medium Business NSW Telstra Business Awards
2010 – #23 Best Place to Work in Australia
2009 – MyBusiness Best Medium Business
2001 – No.1 BRW Fast 100
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up? Once you have determined there is a gap in the market place, the key ingredients to establishing a solution are energy and optimism.
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focused on Australia? We will continue to grow in both our local and overseas markets. We also plan to expand into additional overseas markets to continue making subscription payments easy for businesses.
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire? Any fintech business that survives the challenging start up period and continues to flourish beyond that. It can be a difficult time, and to overcome it requires true dedication to what you are offering.
11. What’s the most interesting or funniest moment that’s happened in your company’s lifetime? With such a diverse team there have been many interesting and funny moments that we have all enjoyed. However, one of the funnier moments was when a team member was demonstrating our platform to a prospective merchant at a fitness industry convention. Midway through the presentation someone approached the prospect from behind, grabbed him in a head lock and started wrestling him to the ground only to realise it was a case of mistaken identity. A rather awkward moment followed before the unwelcome visitor left and the presentation resumed!