Australian FinTech company profile #122 – Unhedged
1. Company Name: Unhedged
2. Website: www.unhedged.com.au
3. Key Staff & Titles: Peter Bakker – Founder & CEO, Mike Cohen – Co-Founder & COO, Glen VanBavinckhove – CTO, Jeremy Beasley – Growth, Jeremy Machet – Growth, and 6 others who are building like crazy
4. Location(s): Melbourne and Sydney
5. In one sentence, what does your fintech do?: Unhedged uses AI to deliver algorithmic returns to the everyday investor
6. How / why did you start your fintech company?: Being an Algotrader and working with rich people I got annoyed that these advanced tools were not available to my friends. When I looked up the returns of robo-investors I got really annoyed and thought: there must be a better way
7. What is the best thing your company has achieved or learnt along the way (this can include awards, capital raising etc)?: Raised 500K in 3 days which was faster then I ever raised before.
8. What’s some advice you’d give to an aspiring start-up?: Watch your cashflow: companies die of lack of cash, not lack of ideas
9. What’s next for your company? And are you looking to expand overseas or stay focussed on Australia?: Lauchinh the fund in April/May, a crowd fund raise in June and launching the retail product in July….
10. What other fintechs or companies do you admire?: Finserv (most stable earnings and growth), Blackrock: amazing money machine. Ellevest: a narrow target markets that works. CacheInvest: fundmanager as a service
11. What’s the most interesting or funniest moment that’s happened in your company’s lifetime?:
An investor transferring 100K without any documentation nor live fund (we returned the cash). We are still wondering how he knew where to transfer to.